Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Reality TV taking over?

In class yesterday we were talking about the increasing popularity of reality TV in today’s society. One student even ventured as far as to say that reality TV is the only option we have when we click on the television. While I don’t agree with that statement one hundred percent, I do agree with the fact that reality TV shows are infesting our popular culture. One reason I have noticed this is because a place that was once untouched by reality TV, is now giving in to the madness and similar shows are popping up all over it. This portal is none other than hulu.com I am an avid Hulu watcher and one thing that has become more and more common is the trend of airing reality TV shows only available online. I plan on bringing a clip of one of these shows as my example to class on Thursday, but there are a few others that should be mentioned as well. The one I plan on talking about Thursday is called the Genuine Ken, where eight men compete to be the ultimate boyfriend modeled after Barbie and Ken. Yes, the dolls. The clip will only reiterate how ridiculous this show sounds. Another one they have is a show where couples have a car and race across all these different obstacles to win a prize, while simultaneously shoving some brand names down our throats. Recently there has been a reality dance show that aired on Hulu as well. I don’t mind reality TV, and I definitely don’t think it is the only thing on television to watch. But from what I have seen interrupting my views on Hulu, it is in the process of taking over all forms of technology, not just on the TV. I hope that it doesn’t come to a point where it is the only thing left to watch, especially on Hulu which was previously my sanctuary away from the madness of reality television.

No comments:

Post a Comment