Thursday, March 31, 2011

Facebook Diaries

Reality TV meets social media.I have been anticipating these two worlds colliding for quite some time. You may choose to argue that “Facebook Diaries” is not reality television but a documentary. How do you know? The show was created by MTV to highlight inspirational stories about how facebook changed someone’s life. The show aired for the first time last night at 11 p.m. Although these are factual, truth based stories we have learned from the article on reality TV that people will go to great lengths to be on television. We have also learned how television has a tendency to sensational stories or situations. Therefore, while I do not the show is scripted I have a notion the producers and directors encourage the participants to amplify certain aspects of their stories and emotions.
Additionally, I must admit I am somewhat shocked the show highlights inspirational stories about facebook’s impact. I feel like most of what we see from MTV and other television mediums are simply dramatic and possibly over-the-top to the point of absurdity. In the reality television article we also learned how we may watch the shows to feel better about ourselves and judge others. This show provides a new perspective. I tend to think of facebook as a cynic. I have heard more stories of drama and the reason for issue than things about saving peoples lives and connecting soldiers with their family, as shown on the first episode. Is this a new curve for reality television and social media or have I spoken too soon? I hope within the next few months “Facebook Diaries” doesn’t evolve into “Facebook Disasters” to exploit people who have gotten into bad situations due to facebook. In the meantime, how does this impact your perception of social media and reality television.

No comments:

Post a Comment