Thursday, March 24, 2011

Reality Shows

Earlier today in class we were discussing the concept of “trash” T.V. I am not a big fan of reality shows but since they’re mostly what is shown on T.V it is hard not catch myself watching an episode of Jersey Shore. Whenever I am at my parents’ house and I am watching a reality show one of them will say “why do you watch such mindless T.V?” This got me thinking “why do we watch these mindless shows?” I don’t agree with Franklin when he says we watch reality T.V. because “we can distinguish ourselves from them”. I think there are several factors to this question. I think people watch these shows because they believe it’s all true and no one is acting. I think that was the original fascination with the concept of reality T.V. When it first came about people thought it was actually “real”. I can remember the first reality show I began to watch back in the day which was Laguna Beach. This show was centered on a group of friends who were wealthy and lived in Laguna Beach, California. I think this show became popular with high school kids because it was a different lifestyle. The lifestyle appeared glamorous and the drama on the show was not like the drama I had in my Midwest high school. The second factor I feel is the reason people watch these shows is because I think people try to imagine themselves in these reality stars’ shoes. The drama and lifestyle of these reality stars appeal to certain people who I think want to be like them. That is why people become so engrossed with these T.V shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment