Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Bachelor - Current thoughts...

For our project, my partner and I are going to dissect the reality TV show, "The Bachelor". Our goal at this point is to look at what it amplifies and reduces regarding interpersonal relationships, and really look at how a bad foundation for a relationship is created from the beginning.

Since I will be watching clips and episodes for the first time, I wanted to put down my thoughts on what I think the show amplifies and reduces right now before really getting into the heart of the matter through the research. My wife is a big fan of the show and I give her a hard time about it, but admittedly, I don't necessarily know everything about the show firsthand. What I think about the show right now is this - it seems to be a way to show how women are obsessed with finding a man who is rich, handsome, and "nice". I feel like another goal for the show is to make the women dress and look as provocative as possible. From what I've seen and heard from my wife is that there is almost always (if not always) at least one episode where all of the potential winners are in bathing suits. My assumption here is that this would be for the ratings and also for the bachelor to help his decision since physical beauty seems to be amplified.

I'm sure that I will be in for some surprises, but honestly I feel that most of the things I am thinking about the show right will prove to be true unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment