Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I'd Like to Think I'm A Carrie

It is slightly embarrassing to admit, but I have a parasocial relationship with the cast of Sex and the City. It all started when the E! Network started airing reruns of the show at 8 p.m. Monday through Friday every week. Television has become pretty terrible overall so there is usually nothing on that I want to watch. I like to at least have some sound in the background when I am working on stuff so Sex and the City was a nice alternative to lame reality shows. Instead of just having it on in the background, though, I began to watch it religiously. Eventually it became part of my routine to watch it while I work on homework. The fact that the show is on five nights a week only added to the creation of a parasocial relationship because it is kind of like having friends over every night.

I knew I had a problem when I caught myself thinking, "Oh that is like something Carrie would say" or "What would Samantha do right now?" Crazy, I know. But the characters are written to cover the bases as far as female personalities. The average woman is bound to identify with at least one of the four lead characters if not with aspects of all four women.

Some people may argue that Sex and the City is superficial and overly focused on sex but I think that it does a great job of discussing real issues that women face in relationships, their jobs and more. Yeah, they make it a little more exciting because it is a television show, not a counseling session but the message is still there. The fact that the characters are so easy to relate to makes it that much easier for viewers to receive the messages. I would say that I learn a lot of life lessons from my friends on Sex and the City.

No comments:

Post a Comment