Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pink is for Girls and Red is for Boys

I feel as though the articles about girls being sucked into the princess culture and boys being sucked into the super hero culture were a little stereotypical, then again so is the way these toys and such are sold to kids.

Confession: Growing up the closest thing I had to a super hero action figure was the Pink Power Ranger and she lived in my dollhouse, yes... I said dollhouse. I was that kid growing up, the one that hosted tea parties for the girls and talked all of my guy friends into being okay with what I look back on as prancing around. They all knew when to come out from behind pretending to be Superman and just have fun.

There is this stereotypical view of little kids when it comes to what they like to play with but I think that is something that is pushed by the adult culture. When I look back at my childhood and look at the little kids around me I see boys playing with princess things because they belong to their sisters and girls doing the same. When you're under the age of say, 8, you don't really care if it's pink or red.

I think that doing research and reading up on what affects toys and images for the opposite gender have on kids would be really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment