Thursday, March 31, 2011

75 tweets later....

After completing the tweets required for class last Friday, I began to read some of the tweets I posted and I came to one tragic conclusion, my three-year old sister will never know about the Power Rangers. She will not experience the awesomeness of the original Looney Toons. She will not understand cool catchphrases such as, "the bomb." The world that we grew up has changed and I can't help but feel too old. Every Saturday morning, Annette, my baby sister, asks for her cartoons. Some are entertaining but most are clearly made for toddlers like Annette. Between the Twitter assignment and Annette's cartoons, I realized how different her childhood will be from mine or anyone else who grew up in the 90s. Today's world is much more baby sensitive, for example, did you know there is a whole tv channel devoted for children like Annette and any other kids under 5? These channels teach toddlers how to count their fingers and share their toys. Sesame Street was the only thing I ever watched that showed me how to count but I was never a big fan of PBS, unless the Magic School Bus was on of course. Instead, I preferred to watch cartoons like Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life, both of which were iffy for kids to watch. Annette and others her age will undoubtedly benefit from modern technology. Maybe when she reaches to be our age, she will reminisce about the cartoons she watched and have the same feelings we have when an episode of Rugrats is on tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment