Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Diagnosing my Obsession With Reality TV

I love reality TV. My favorite reality shows are full of drama, hence why I love Jersey Shore and Bad Girls Club. The article "Is Trash TV Bad For Women?" caused me to think about the reasons for which I am so stuck on reality TV and willing to plan my night around watching Jersey Shore at 10pm every Thursday night.
According to the article, people take an interest in reality TV because of "our ability to distinguish ourselves from them." If the show hasn't made the viewers feel as if they are anthropologists observing a new tribe, then the show has failed. My interpretation of the article is that people like reality TV because it makes them feel better about their lives. Well, the shows where people are out of control. Ex. It is easy for me to distinguish myself from Snookie. I can look at her and say, at least I didn't go to jail for public intoxication or at least I'm not a sloppy drunk.
While being able to distinguish oneself from those on reality TV is a reason for watching it, I do believe that people watch it for entertainment or because they can identify with the characters in some way, even if it is minimal.
Personally, I watch reality T.V. because I try to keep drama in my life to a serious minimum. I'm not a fan of drama, I rather just chill and be happy. I sure do enjoy watching other people act like straight up fools on national T.V. though.

No comments:

Post a Comment