Monday, March 28, 2011

"Princess Culture"

I have become wary of reading various articles and discussing the topic of princess culture. It is, however, an interesting topic that I would have never ever thought this hard about. Princess culture is a good way to describe little girls who love the Disney princesses. I believe that it is the parent's responsibilities to not let their love for princesses get out of control. I was a huge fan of Disney princesses when I was younger and never have lived out my life in any way like one of the princesses. I have found love and my own magical fairy tale, but I did not grown up expecting prince charming to sweep me off my feet and have a perfect life. Reality shows such as Toddlers and Tiaras is an example of the princess culture gone wrong. The majority of those little girls expect perfection, beauty, what they want and when they want it. The girls being exposed on that show are the ones who have parents who let them take "princess culture" to the extreme.

I think it is okay for little girls who love Disney princesses to act out their fairy tale fantasies in everyday situations. Wearing Disney branded clothes, tiaras around the house, and playing magical fairy tale land with their girlfriends is harmless until the parent allows their dream world to become reality. I know this because I was that little girl who dreamt in Disney dreams, I wore tiaras around the house all day, and all I wanted to watch was Cinderella. As I said before, the parents play a big role that some of the authors we have read are failing to recognize or put in their articles. What I learned from the couple articles regarding princess culture is that it is important to see this culture forming, yes. But what I am interested in is finding out is how it is affecting a bigger population of those "princess cultured" girls once they have grown older.

No comments:

Post a Comment