Thursday, March 31, 2011

Superheroes

Today’s reading discusses the effects of superheroes on little boys. In the article it discusses how Hollywood’s images of masculinity can influence the young boys that are often watching these superhero movies. The article says that that today’s blockbusters are more focused on the superheroes blowing things up, being sarcastic, and basically doing whatever the superhero wants because what else would anyone do about it? Superhero movies today don’t focus on the values of the superhero and the importance of his “job” once he takes his costume off and isn’t a superhero anymore. I think that certain superhero movies have a negative effect on children because superheroes that are seen in movies nowadays are seen hanging out with skanky dressed girls, are seen drinking, and are at some times mean to other around them. Ironman is one that especially sticks out to me. I saw this movie and I thought that parts of it weren’t appropriate for younger children. From what I remember I think Ironman is a slob that messes around with girls and is rude to people and sells giant guns and thinks he is the shit- which at times he is the shit but it might be inappropriate for younger kids. The article also discusses that superheroes are seen as either the “player” or the “slacker”. I think that Ironman falls into both of these categories. These images are bad for young boys and I think they can affect them in negative ways in the future. From reading the article, it looks like young boys that are less influenced by these superhero movies are better adjusted when they get older and also act less tough and macho. Overall I think that superhero movies to some extent are ok for children but not if they are at too young of an age. I think that Ironman is definitely not for young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment