Thursday, March 31, 2011

Princess Culture

In class we have been discussing the culture of princesses and whether or not we feel like it exists. We have had several great conversations and debates about our opinions, but I firmly believe this culture exists. As a young girl, I watched Disney movies a lot, but the most princess-based toy or clothing item that I had was the game Pretty Pretty Princess. Even though I had this game, I played it most often with my father, which I find interesting to think about. I loved making him dress up with the tiara on his head because I thought it was hilarious. Other than that, I played mostly with my neighbor, Tim, who always dreamt of being in the Army. His love for the Army was always apparent in our games because we would play on his playground with helmets and guns. Interestingly enough, he recently graduated from West Point Academy.


I do know a person in my life that had always loved the princess lifestyle and grew up watching the movies and owning princess toys. She now takes out school loans only to go shopping for herself instead of using them academically, she is obsessed with reality TV about weddings, relationships and money, she considers herself the boss of everyone in her life, but she also tends to do whatever she wants even if it creates a double standard for those who she bosses around. The lifestyle choices she makes has even given her the nickname of “Princess” long before our culture talks in class. It is interesting to see how the two worlds collide. I now see the reasoning behind her actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment