Sunday, March 27, 2011

Using South Park for Academic Purposes


South Park is a unique artifact pertaining to our culture today. The cartoon has been on television since 1999. The storyline for a majority of the episodes, focuses around a political or social issue that our society is facing during that time. For example, episodes that mock Britney Spears, President Obama, and Michael Vick have been produced. The episode would take the current topic associated with the characters, and create an episode focusing around the main concepts of the topic, but adding ridiculous twists making the episode humorous. The producers of South Park might be considered culture jammers. In class, we defined cultural jammers as artful proliferation of messages, a rhetorical process of intervention and invention, which challenges the ability of corporate discourses to make meaning in predictable ways. The producers of South Park find the parody of real life situations, by mocking them, and making clear the opposing message. For example, in season twelve, episode twelve, the episode uses Obama and McCain as their message in the episode. While Obama fans are celebrating “Change”, McCain supporters mope in disappointment. Throughout the episode, McCain and Obama debate on political issues.So would Christine Harold, author of “Culture Jamming” consider the South Park producers to be participating in culture jamming?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this post. I completely agree with the arguments you make in favor of South Park. I have found myself thinking about the various disciplines South Park could be useful. I think speaks to the Pop Culture class especially well but I feel it would be helpful in Telecommunications, History, and Sociology as well. I have seen a few South Park clips played in some classes for learning purposes but feel it is under utilized.
    Additionally, I appreciate your definition. When I was younger I hated South Park. I have come to realize I hate the show because I did not understand the message. Now I can’t get enough of it. However, I have become such a critical consumer I now attempt to observe how the directors may take things a little too far or out of context. Lately, I have been trying to observe the text from a critical or Marxist perspective. In class we often discuss how this is a “male dominated world.” I wonder what South Park would be like or if it would differ if it were produced and/or directed by females? This is more of a Feminist perspective but I think it might have a different spin. Finally, I have become so enamored by South Park I find myself looking for new plot ideas for the producers. Some day I may establish one strong enough and e-mail them to achieve my own culture jammer status.

    ReplyDelete