Saturday, March 12, 2011

Culture Jamming Continues

I didn’t realize that culture jamming/pranking is such a large issue. While looking online, I found many more sites of groups that try to “prank” to make a statement. I really like this idea, because it is ‘out of the box.’ I also think it’s cool because the people that come up with these ideas are really creative. They are willing to live a little on the edge. Unfortunately, I don’t think there has been a nationwide culture jamming prank that has made a long-term impact. However, if it became a widespread idea, I’m not sure it would be as fun anymore. People would be expecting the pranks, and the surprise factor would be out of the window.

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

Adbusters is a culture jamming group that has some really great ideas. One of their ideas is “Buy Nothing Christmas.” They encourage people to give family and friends a ‘gift exemption’ card, ask shoppers “What would Jesus buy?”, and dress as Santa and meditate in the middle of the shopping mall. This is a very innocent and creative way to protest the fact that we are extremely materialistic when it comes to Christmas.

“Buy Nothing Christmas” struck me because I’ve had a family member ask us to give nothing but our time as a gift for Christmas. It was a totally new idea for my family. We enjoyed it, but we also know that it didn’t stop us from buying gifts altogether. I think this goes to show that culture jamming is exciting and it does send out a message, but it doesn’t always leave a lasting impression that will change society as a whole.

This stemmed from “Buy Nothing Day.” The site states… “A few people start breaking their old patterns, embracing what they love (and in the process discovering what they hate), daydreaming, questioning, rebelling. What happens naturally then, according to the revolutionary past, is a groundswell of support for this new way of being, with more and more people empowered to perform new gestures unencumbered by history.”

I applaud groups for doing something different, even if it continues to stay local.

No comments:

Post a Comment