Wednesday, March 30, 2011

All About The Tomboy

The whole idea of a princess culture made me think about how the whole opposite of the spectrum can be considered a bad thing. Of course I’m talking about tomboyism. If a girl prefers to play with boy oriented toys, at least what our cultures have determined are boy oriented toys, or rough house instead of play tea party or dress up, then she’s automatically tagged as a tomboy, and her future might be questioned. I don’t appreciate this, because I myself was a tomboy growing up and I believe I turned out just fine. If anything, I think I turned out better than I would have if I had been solely focused on the whole princess ideals. My mother was in the army and I have six brothers, so it’s obvious that my upbringing didn’t focus on what some might deem as “girliness”. In fact, I can clearly remember hating being forced into dresses for holidays.

But, at the same time, I enjoyed the Disney Princesses, just as much as I enjoyed the Lion King. It wasn’t because the Princesses were physically attractive, or I fantasized about having a handsome prince of my own. No, I enjoyed the movies because of the very fact that they were movies. I liked watching the images pass and getting pulled into the story they told. It wasn’t until middle school and high school that I started moving into the “princess stage” of my life and I think that that gave me the ability to actually understand what the whole Princess package really entailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment