Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Princess Culture" bad for girls?

The article "Princess culture turning girls into overspending narcissists" by Joanne Laucius, really made me think if there is such thing as a "princess culture" and if it could really be a bad thing for girls.
Number one, I don't believe a "princess culture" exists, but I can honestly say that I was influenced by princess movies as a child, and maybe even today.As a child I always wanted to be princess Jasmine because she was pretty and I loved Aladdin. When I wore dresses on Sunday for church, I called myself a princess, but I was the princess who took karate, so I kicked and punched in my dresses. I wasn't this dainty little princess, but I was still a princess nonetheless and you couldn't tell me differently. Because there is no way to actually define a princess, since there are sporty ones, dainty ones, etc... I refuse to believe there is a "princess culture". The "princess culture" that Lauucius describes, aren't even princesses, they are spoiled little girly- girl brats.
Princesses and movies with princesses aren't bad for girls. What is bad is parents letting their child walk out of the house with a tiara on, pampering them and letting them spend too much money. If the day came that I cried and screamed over not being able to walk out of the house with a tiara is the day that my mom would have broke that dang tiara. Laucius should not blame disney princesses and their accoutrements, she should blame the parents who allow their children to indulge in the "princess culture" in which she describes. I blame the parents! There is no way my child is going to act like that girl in toddlers in Tiaras. I could do nothing but shake my head the entire time we watched that clip in class. I wanted to make that child's mom sit in the corner and think about the stupidity of her four year old carrying on over a pacifier! I'm done with my rant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment