Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Importance of a Hashtag & My Almost Addiction to Them

Here is something entirely new that I learned about this semester, the #hashtag. Prior to my taking COMM 322, I had absolutely no knowledge of its existence. In fact, I really had no enjoyment coming whatsoever from Twitter in general, which I was forced to resurrect for a letter-grade, until I took this class.

Now, for most of you, the definition of a #hashtag is a no-brainer. But, like I said, hell if knew what they were before this, so let me give it a go… and if it happens to still be wrong, just write a comment informing me:

A hashtag is a symbol that you put on your Twitter’s tweet (the message you write). This allows you to access that topic’s tweets (all of them) with ease.

Now, this opened the door to a brand new addiction… for about two weeks. As I started my project, I became highly enthused with #hashtags and loved using them a whole lot. But, as with most thing in my life, the enjoyment withered away and I was bored to death by the mere idea of having to deal with one. Sure, they definitely make everything easier to find, but I just could not get over having to type that stupid numerical symbol.

All complaints aside, the #hashtag, for Twitter’s purposes, was a move of genius. Consumers whining about the lack of finding relevant tweets now had nothing to say, and when Trending Topics came into play, the idea unfolded itself perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment