Monday, March 28, 2011

Reality: Taking Over the TV

"Reality" TV (I put it in quotes because I am unsure how real it all is) seems to be taking over the TV screen one program at a time. No matter the time or day, a show can always be found. You have channels such as MTV, which stands for music television; Vh1, which stands for Video Hits; CMT, which stands for country music; TLC, which stands for the learning channel; and the list goes on and on. But how often do you see music on MTV? Only if you are an insomniac or up and watching TV early in the morning. Other then the few hours dedicated to what these channels are supposedly all about; the channels seem to be primarily packed all throughout the day with "reality" TV programs.

Personally, when I tune in (which I must admit, I often do) I commonly refer to it as mindless TV. You can jump in midseason, mid-episode or for the first time and be able to jump right in to check out mentally. After a long day of work and/or school, there is something about being able to tune in to tune out that I enjoy. I do not have to contemplate the plot that is non-existent or examine the underlying message that is not there. I can simply watch without thought or do something of more importance in conjunction – such as writing my fifth blog for popular culture class while watching The Real Housewives of Orange County – with little distraction or entrancement of a show with substance.

I am not sure what has caused this phenomenon across the nation or what reasons the millions tune in to these programs but in no way does it seem to be slowing down. I actually believe the contrary, that more and more networks will continue to add reality television programs and programs of substance will disperse and be pushed to the outskirts of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment