Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My New Haircut = Jersey Shore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M

Just so everyone knows, the language in this video is very vulgar.


But while we’re on the topic of Jersey Shore…


During our conversation about the show, we mentioned some things that help fuel the stereotypes of the “guidos” we see on Jersey Shore. One of those that we mentioned, but never showed in class is the above link, “My New Haircut.” I’ll be honest, I don’t know where this video originated from or when it was made, but I know it was pre-Jersey Shore. It is amazing how closely related the two really are despite not being affiliated with each other in any way except the character that they embody. When I think of the people, specifically guys, on Jersey Shore, a few adjectives come to mind: Cocky, hot-headed, jock, man-whore, drunk, etc. When I watch the “My New Haircut” video, that character displays every one of those adjectives.


I remember the first time I ever saw an episode of Jersey Shore and I texted the friend that originally showed the “My New Haircut” video asking him if this was an extension of the video, a complete joke, etc. And considering the wide popularity the video had on YouTube alone, one has to wonder the connection, if at all. Did MTV see the success that is “My New Haircut” and see an opportunity to capitalize on a pop culture mockery? I do not think that’s out of the question, but nonetheless, television stations and other outlets do know seem to be able to target what our culture finds “entertaining” and that’s why we continue to see the same characters over and over again in so many different shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment