Monday, February 21, 2011

Paul's "Branded for Life" Article

I just finished reading one of the articles due for tomorrow’s class, and wanted to write about my feelings about it before we discuss it all together, because my opinion could somehow change. But for now, I have to say that while I see where Paul is coming from and what he means; I honestly do not see much of a problem with the situation going on. Yes, companies are aiming their products at kids earlier and earlier, but if anything I feel like this is a smart strategy. The fact that they are going around the parents and focusing solely on the children is actually pretty brilliant if you ask me, because so many parents today will do anything to please and satisfy their kids.

I work at a daycare, and it is shocking to me how often on a daily basis I hear small children making the decisions for their family. I am talking about 2-4 year olds, which also happens to be the group that Paul says is able to begin requesting certain brand names. These parents will ask their kids for example, what they would like to have for dinner. It seems nice and normal, until the kids decide that they will be the ones making the final call. So often a tantrum breaks out because a kid is not getting what they want, and they know that if they scream long enough they are bound to make their parents crack, and they will get their way. Kids are much smarter at a younger age than we sometimes give them credit for. They pick up on how much they can get away with, if they are allowed. The fact that these companies are picking up on this routine also shows how clever they really are. So, if they want to target younger audiences, they are really right on track, and I actually give them credit for being able to notice this trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment