Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Amplification & Reduction

I was going over my notes, getting ready for this awesome exam I know Dr. McCauliff has prepared us for. I came across the idea of media logic. To go further, I would like to discuss the idea I thought of in class about amplification and reduction (in short the things that are shown and not shown). Jersey Shore actually sparked my idea. I realized that a lot of the popular music television stations have grew away from what they were known for which was music videos. Instead, they are now into the world of reality television (and you can't blame the stations because that is what is popular). My favorite stations: BET, MTV, and VH1 are all into the reality television genre now. MTV is by far the king (or queen for you feminist) of reality television. What ever happened to TRL, Morning Jump Start, EX-Effect etc.? I strongly believe that shows like the Real World and Road Rules started the whole epidemic with reality television. I am not trying to knock them, but there is obvious media logic with these between these television stations. They know that reality television is what viewers want to see. While, the regular music video’s and normal television shows are shown less or worst not shown at all. Maybe because I am not a fan, I would pick a Lil Wayne or Usher video over watching Snooki or Deena passed out drunk any day. I guess the idea of people embarrassing themselves is not entertaining to me, and if shows like Jersey Shore are considered reality then I’d rather live a dream life.

No comments:

Post a Comment