Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Follow Me

I believe very strongly in the website, Twitter. After Twitter first came out to the public as “the next big thing in social media,” I had my doubts. A friend of mine constantly Tweeted from his phone and told me that I needed to get an account so that I could “follow” him and keep up to date with social media technology. I never understood exactly why Twitter was such a big deal. I figured there were “status updates” on Facebook, and that is basically all Twitter is; status updates. Why would I need to get a Twitter when I can let others know what I am doing on my Facebook? It took awhile, but I was finally roped into the Twitter scene. I created an account and began Tweeting and following news channels, friends, celebrities and sports teams. This was my new obsession. The creation of my new Twitter account eventually resulted in the demise of my Facebook account. I deleted Facebook for nearly half a year because I saw no point to it. Twitter was all I needed. The ability to follow celebrities, news anchors, athletes and Public Relations agents for sports teams was incredible and created this sort of parasocial relationship between me and these “people.” I am a huge fan of Twitter for several reasons but the biggest one is the glamorous “relationship” I have with fellow Twitter users as well as the website itself. It may very well be my new pop culture addiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment