Saturday, February 5, 2011

Don't Underestimate the Power of a Parasocial Relationship

In class when we discussed the Media-Center Perspectives and addictions, I initially believed that none of it applied to me. This is how I am with everything; a bit of a skeptic really, but then I realized how much these theories make sense. One theory I tried to deny the most was the parasocial. I mean, who wants to believe that he/she is so much attached to a show that the actors or characters become like their actual friends. Not me. That is just embarrassing. Its like an adult having an imaginary friend. I laugh as I write this, but this is truly how I feel.

After reading about the theory and denying it, I found myself proving the theory correct. I get so emotionally involved in shows. Perfect example, Jersey Shore. For some reason, since I am from NY and I saw one of the people from the show (Jwoww) at a club in my hometown on Long Island, I feel like I have such a connection with her. I find myself saying things like "jwoww's my girl" or "she's such a chill person", when in reality, I don't know the girl.
My parasocial relationships don't stop at television. My obsessions with soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo and MMA fighter George St. Pierre, just to name a couple, have led to me to have this parasocial relationship as well. I always talk about these two like I know them and defend the heck out of them if anyone makes a negative comment.
I think its extremely funny how we can all be obsessed with characters, athletes and celebrities, when they have no idea who we are. I guess the more we watch or follow these people, the more the parasocial relationship becomes inevitable. I think Parasocial relationships are harmless as long as no one lets it ruin their lives, like the Twilight fans we read about earlier on in the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment