Monday, February 7, 2011

FA: Facebook Anonymous

My name is Megan Casey, and I am proud to admit that I am no longer addicted to Facebook.

The other day in class, during out social media lecture, we were asked to raise our hand if we did not have a Facebook page. I was the only person to raise my hand. I deleted my Facebook this past October when I started searching through my “friends” and deleting over half of them. I decided that my “real friends” already know my phone number and know where I live, so if they want to get a hold of me they can. At first it was pretty difficult not having my Facebook because I felt so out of the loop. I started to realize more and more that the “loop” I used to be in was this weird made up story of who my “friends” were. The only reason I would talk to some people was because of Facebook. I never even saw them on campus or out on the weekends for the most part. It finally started to get easier when I realized that all of the drama I had ever had in the past seemed to have gone away. It is so easy for people to make up stories or twist words that are written on the Internet to make other people’s lives a living hell. I felt like all of the stress of what I should or shouldn’t say or post on Facebook finally got lifted off of my shoulders because I no longer had a Facebook to post anything on.

The funny part about it is something I never thought about until just the other day. I realized that my grades have been significantly better in the last semester without a Facebook. I’m not really sure if not having a Facebook directly correlates to my better grades, but it is interesting to think that this is the only semester I have not had one, and it’s the semester that I have received my highest grades.

I feel lucky to have beaten the “addiction” that so many struggle with every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment