Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why Popular Culture is Important To Me

To me, popular culture is all of the entertaniment, books, comics, games, sports, that are out for people to view and be influenced by. It influences our culture everyday with new ideas and feelings. The whole idea of popular culture fascinates me. If you were to ask my friends or my family, they would tell you that I am a popular culture "nut", or rather I know everything about entertainment. I would agree with the fact that I know more than most of them, but there is still so much that I have to learn about entertainment. When it comes to games and comics, I don't know a lot about the stories behind them.

Reality television has always been what some people call a "guilty pleasure" for me. I love reality television. There are so many reality shows out there that I find myself tuning into week after week even if I don't want to tune in, but each of them teaches us something different every week. Whether it be life lessons, what not to do, how to react in tough situations, how not to react, ect., they all have different ways of getting their messages across, just like scriped television. I love T.V. and I find myself on Monday nights tuning into shows like Gossip Girl, 90210, or Greek just because they are good, but they allow me to step out of my own life for a while and let me relax and watch other peoples lives unfold in front of me. Tuesday nights it is all about Glee, that show is just fantastic, because of the way that so many teenagers and adults can relate to the characters and the issues those characters endure each episode.

I think that it is important to study popular culture, because with all of the technology we have today, it is allowing pop culture to be everywhere. Popular culture allows everyone to come together too which is important. Without popular culture the world would definitely be a boring place. I want to study popular culture because it plays such a huge role in my life, it leads to a lot of discussions that I have with friends everyday, and I have made friends out of people just by simply watching the same shows as them and talking about them with my friends. Popular culture is so interesting and important to so many people so if we take the time to study it and learn about its affects on peoples lives everyday, we can have a better understanding of why it is so intreguing and why it plays such a big part in our everyday lives and we can also learn about all of the different aspects of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment