Monday, January 24, 2011

My Secret Obsession

At a time like this when the weather is just terrible outside, and all I want to do is lay in bed, I find myself indulging in one of my secret pop culture obsessions: the television show Gossip Girl. I’m honestly not even sure as to why I love that show, but I find myself searching the Internet for full episodes when it isn’t on TV, or finding out when new episodes are on and setting my DVR accordingly.

Gossip Girl is a show about a group of upper class families and friends who live in New York. My favorite part about the show is that each new episode feeds off of the one before it and continues with the story line. The drama that happens between all of the characters has me wanting to know more every week. I always want to know the ending of the story but each episode ends on a cliffhanger, making me crazy for an entire week because I toss around scenarios in my head about what might be happening in the following episode.

We talked in class a little bit about the article, “Has a Pop-Culture Addiction Ever Taken Over Your Life,” and we discussed the fact that some pop-culture TV obsessions seem to make us feel lost or confused when the story finally comes to an end. The example that was brought up was the show Lost. I am anticipating the final episode of Gossip Girl to have me feeling extremely confused, but hopefully by then I will be able to analyze why I was so drawn to the show and what made it a “good” show.




No comments:

Post a Comment