Wednesday, January 19, 2011

SKINS



I am guilty of having an obsession with British television. Ever since I came back from London I have been hooked. My all-time favorite show is ‘Skins’. The show tells a story about British teenagers just trying to get through life in Bristol. One sees what goes on with their family, friends, and sometimes even their love life. It goes into detail with metal illness, substance abuse, and drugs.




Although, most of the show deals with them partying and doing drugs it is extremely entertaining. Every two seasons a new cast comes in. The new British series premiers this week and I wish I could be excited but, America is at minimum six months behind.

What has been really bothering me is the premier of the MTV version of ‘Skins’. This has been the topic of discussion for many people recently. Many peoples main gripe is that MTV failed to even change the storyline a little bit. They took the British version and just changed it to American characters. As you can see from the video below the two shows are extremely alike.





It is one thing to borrow some things from the UK version. However, to have the exact same storyline makes things dull. I will tune in to watch the new version but, I don’t believe I’m going to like it. If you’re going to bring a show like ‘Skins’ to the United States you should at least change a few things and make it different. Not just change the accent and look of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment