Monday, January 17, 2011

Is addiction the right word?

Our class discussion on Thursday revolved around pop culture addictions what we each are addicted to and how do these addictions shape our lives. We used this article as the basis for our discussion. We also defined addiction as physical and psychological dependence on psychoactive substances. Psychological dependence was defined as you feel emotionally connected to a substance, you allow the substance to get in the way of important things, you plan your schedule around your need for substance, you spend a lot of time talking about the substance. This discussion brought up several questions and thoughts, and I have been pondering over it for the last several days. How do these addictions shape our lives? What role do these addictions play in our society? What would be culture be like without these addictions? Are all relationships with pop culture harmful to the individual?



During the discussion, I was feeling slightly guilty for participating and enjoying some pop culture. Yes, I would agree there are people who take pop culture to the extreme and are addicted to it. But in general, I think addiction might not be the right word to use. In our society, the word addiction has such a negative connotation to it and is viewed as a problem that needs to be fixed. If I do not participate in consuming at least some of our society’s pop culture, it can cause a feel of being an outcast or being a part of an outgroup. I feel like the relationship I have with pop culture is not a problem that needs to be fixed. Pop culture provides me with entertainment and enjoyment and neutral topics to discuss with others. One of my biggest pop culture “addictions” is football especially college football and The Ohio State Buckeyes. Some may see this as a problem that needs to be fixed. My friends and I enjoy watching football together. In my life, it is building community. Maybe addiction isn’t always the right word to be used in association with large amounts of consumption for pop culture. Could obsession, consumption, or devotion be better words to use for this connection to pop culture?

No comments:

Post a Comment