Monday, January 24, 2011

Three-Year-Old in Too Deep

“Bieber fever.” Urban dictionary defines Bieber fever as “the act, or disease of being literally obsessed with Justin Bieber. Most commonly found in girls, but occasionally a guy or two.” On the first day we discussed popular culture addictions or obsessions. It is difficult for me to argue so many young girls supposedly uncontrollable magnetic gravitation toward Justin Beiber. “Young girls” are not understatement. Last week one of my colleagues posted a video of a three-year old girl sobbing about her love for Justin Beiber. Three years old. What did you cry about when you were three years old?

In class we discussed married women’s addiction to the Twilight series. Here I highlight an three-year olds undying love for a young musician. There are a couple of evaluations and questions I propose about this situation. First of all, does popular culture addiction have no limits or boundaries? The music of a young boy who has not hit puberty is causing extremely trauma to a girl who is learning how to share and take turns.

This you tube video and situation evokes uncontrollable emotion within me. I am angry, hurt, amused, disgusted, shocked, horrified, and nonetheless completely intrigued. It would be extremely easy for me to continue this post and ramble about the multiple avenues for exploration this “Bieber fever” phenomena provide for popular culture scholars but that is my exact purpose for the post. I wanted to introduce everyone to this video and evoke thought for further evaluation. This is our passion for popular culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment