Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pop Culture Influencing Comedy Choice

Today in class we discussed types of movies and TV shows that we assumed we would hate until we gave them a chance. Some classmates mentioned Jersey Shore, Seinfeld, and Friends as television shows that they found out they enjoyed after they finally watched them. During this discussion I kept thinking about an instance where the exact opposite happened to me. This did not involve a TV show, or movie, or musical group but rather stand up comedians. I love stand up comics and I used to spend hours watching specials on Comedy Central or Youtube. One comic I used to watch endlessly was Dane Cook.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdv2exhGxU4&feature=related
I thought he was so relative and funny, until something changed my mind. I saw a MadTV sketch where they made fun of Dane Cook and the damage was done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMV4kwbSdw4
In class people mentioned shows they thought they would dislike until they gave it a chance, but in my case I liked something until I saw another form of media that was trashing it. The pop culture references in the MadTV skit showed me another side of Dane Cook and after watching it, I could never take his comedy material seriously anymore. It was hard to watch him and laugh at his jokes instead of his mannerisms and excessive amounts of hair gel.
I realize that many people still think Dane Cook is funny. His multiple roles in romantic comedies have proven that. I just kept thinking about how easily my mind was changed after seeing the Dane Cook parody. It really proves how much popular culture can influence what we think is funny and entertaining, and how quickly our minds can be changed. And unfortunately, how it can even lower the ticket sales for Dane Cook comedy shows by one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment