Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Jersey Shore: Trashy, yet embarrassingly enough, Entertaining


Today in class the question was asked if any of us had experienced totally disliking a show that was majorly popular, and later overturning our opinion of it. I decided to admit that this had indeed happened to me; just this last year in fact. I knew it was a show that many across the world watched (I had a friend studying in Ireland that couldn’t wait for the show to hit their airwaves) so that made it a little easier to admit that I now enjoy watching MTV’s Jersey Shore.

The reason this was so hard for me to admit was because I had been so against watching this show from the moment it came out. Sure, I heard my roommates discuss it, read about it online and in my magazines, and saw previews for it while watching other shows on MTV, but I really felt that it was just trash reality television and a waste of my time. I still feel that the show itself and the characters on it are trashy and shameless, but above all that, the show is way entertaining.

I’m assuming everyone knows at least what Jersey Shore is about and what it entails, so I won’t go into major details about the show, but here are a few examples of what goes on, for those who have not seen an episode: drinking, fighting, sex, and don’t forget GTL. The fact that these people got famous literally by partying every day of their lives and doing other extreme things is really what bothered me the most. I didn’t want to be another supporter that would keep these people in the limelight and the show on television. However, once I experienced my first time watching, I was hooked.

Mostly I believe it is because they make such fools of themselves and say and do things that normal people do not. It is so outlandish that the entertainment factor kicks in, because where else would I ever in my life come in contact with such large amounts of tan juice heads? I hate to think that I waste my time watching it, but honestly, reality television has been taking over for some time. Television producers will have to continue to step it up with crazier and crazier shows in order to maintain a shock value. And, whatever they come up with next, I no doubt will end up watching with the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment